> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 06:15:16AM -0700, Marcelo
> Leal wrote:
> >  - "ZFS does not need fsck".
> >  Ok, that?s a great statement, but i think ZFS
> needs one. Really does.
> >  And in my opinion a enhanced zdb would be the
> solution. Flexibility.
> >  Options.
>
> About 99% of the problems reported as "I need ZFS
> fsck" can be summed up
> by two ZFS bugs:
>
> 1. If a toplevel vdev fails to open, we should be
> able to pull
> information from necessary ditto blocks to open
>  the pool and make
> what progress we can.  Right now, the root vdev
>  code assumes "can't
> open = faulted pool," which results in failure
>  scenarios that are
> perfectly recoverable most of the time.  This needs
>  to be fixed
> so that pool failure is only determined by the
>  ability to read
>   critical metadata (such as the root of the DSL).
> . If an uberblock ends up with an inconsistent view
> of the world (due
> to failure of DKIOCFLUSHWRITECACHE, for example),
>  we should be able
> to go back to previous uberblocks to find a good
>  view of our pool.
>   This is the failure mode described by Jeff.
> hese are both bugs in ZFS and will be fixed.

 That´s it! It´s 100% for me! ;-)
 One is the "all-or-nothing" problem, and the other is about guilty... ;-))

> There are some interesting possibilities for limited
> forensic tools - in
> particular, I like the idea of a mdb backend for
> reading and writing ZFS
> pools[1].
 In my opinion would be great the whole functionality in zdb. it´s simple, and
the concepts are clear on the tool. mdb is a debugger, needs concepts that i
think is different in a tool for read/fix filesystems. Just an opinion... What
does not mean we can not have both. Like i said, flexibility, options... ;-)

 But I haven't actually heard a reasonable
> proposal for what a
> fsck-like tool

 I think we must NOT stuck in the word "fsck", i have used it just as an
example (Lost and Found). And i think other users used just as an example too.
The important is the two points you have described very *well*.

(i.e. one that could "repair" things
> automatically) would
> actually *do*, let alone how it would work in the
> variety of situations
> it needs to (compressed RAID-Z?) where the standard
> ZFS infrastructure
> fails.
>
> - Eric
>
> [1]