I just stumbled upon this thread somehow and thought I'd share my zfs over
iscsi experience.

We recently abandoned a similar configuration with several pairs of x4500s
exporting zvols as iscsi targets and mirroring them for "high availability"
with T5220s.

Initially, our performance was also good using iozone tests, but, in testing
the resilvering processes with 10tb of data, it was abysmal. It took over a
month for a 10tb x4500 mirror that was mostly mirrored to resilver back into
health with its pair. So, not exactly a highly available configuration... if
the other x4500 went unhealthy while the other was still resilvering we'd have
been in a real bad place.

Also, "zfs send" operations on filesystems hosted by the iscsi zpool couldn't
push out more than a few kilobytes per second. Yes, we had all the
multipathing, vlans, memory buffering and all kinds of nonsense to keep the
network from being the bottleneck but to not much benefit. This was our plan
for keeping our remote sites' filesystems in sync so it was vital.

Maybe we did something completely wrong with our setup, but I'd suggest you
verify how long it takes to resilver new x4500s into your iscsi pools and also
see how well it does when your zpools are almost full. Our initial good
performance test results were too good to be true and it turned out that they
weren't the whole story.

Good luck.