Hi Chris,

Chris Gerhard wrote:
> How can you disable the auto-snapshot service[s] by default without
 > disabling the timeslider
 > as well which appears to be the case if you disable the smf services.

Not sure I follow - time slider depends on the auto-snapshot service to
take snapshots... (does the nautilus gui disappear if timeslider is
disabled - if so, that sounds wrong to me)

> Setting the properly in the root pool is ok except for removable media
 > which I don't want to have snapshots taken in the time between plugging
 > the things in and setting the property.

You'll be ok there. The service checks for/sets the property on service
start on any pools that appear on the system: in effect, this means that
removable media won't be snapshotted by default until the service
refreshes. So only media that were inserted and mounted at boot would
get snapshotted by default (unless the property was already set on those
pools to tell the service to leave them alone)

btw. I've a changset checked in to have the service not take snapshots
of swap & dump devices, which was broken in nv_100/101. There's a known
bug about the service breaking for datasets with spaces in their names,
I've got an ugly fix, but want to have a go at doing a better job of it.

        cheers,
                        tim