so I found some more information and have been at it diligently.

Checking my hardware bios, Dell likes to share a lot of it's IRQs with other
peripherals.

back in the old days when we were limited to just 15 IRQs it was imperative
that certain critical hardware had it's own IRQ. It may seem to be the same
case here.

I have disabled everything that I can from the bios, removed all additional
RAID or boot cards. Also, I have turned off the I/OAT DMA settings
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_memory_access). I also have changed the
network card from the Broadcom TOE adapter to the an Intel Etherexpress Pro
1000G card with it's own iRQs.

I reinstalled the server and have started to try vmotion again.

it's copying! Vmotion is actually working but at a snail's pace. In 1 hour it
has copied only 28% of a 15 GIG VMDK folder.

That's slow, but I don't know if it is my disk subsystem (using the internal
SATA controller) or that TCP is having issues. Going to be sitting on the logs
and watching it.

IOSTAT -xn 1 reports activity every 10 to 15 seconds..

more information soon.. but it seems that the irq conflicts or I/OAT DMA may be
the culprit.