On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Bob Friesenhahn
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Al Hopper wrote:
>>
>> b) If I were building a system today, I'd go Intel -  even thought I'm
>> an AMD fanboy - but I can't recommend AMD today ... unfortunately.
>
> Is there some particular reason for this?  The now shipping 0.45 micron
> quad-core Opterons seem quite nice indeed.  As far as I am aware, Opteron
> still has an advantage over Intel with moving data on and off the CPU.

The just released 45nm AMD parts[0] are intended for Socket F
(formerly occupied by Opteron parts) - which is part of the 2nd (more
expensive) server (pricing) tier.  And these parts are priced
accordingly.  In a few months, AMD will release the workstation (lower
priced tier) version of the current Shanghai (aka Phenom II) part -
and it's likely that this part will be absolutely killed by the
equivalent version of the Nahelem (aka Core i7) parts that will be
available at the same time.  Actually the Core i7 parts will probably
be widely available before the AMD equivalent parts. :(

So #1:  I said "now" (today)[1]  and #2 the motherboards and CPUs I
mentioned will allow the OP to build a system where the overall
performance will be limited by the system disk drives and installed
memory.  Building a system with more  internal memory to CPU
bandwidth, or some other exotic system feature, will not change that.

Another point worth mentioning is that its far better, and economical,
to build a home NAS based on proven, mature, widely available
commodity parts rather than trying to build it based on brand new, rev
~ 1.0 BIOS based products that have not even been reviewed by the
usual tech review sites.[2]

[0] http://it.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3456
[1] Neither Core i7 parts or AMD 45nm Shanghai parts are listed on newegg.com.
[2] nothing on tomshardware.com or many other review sites in terms of
detailed performance level evaluations of the AMD Shanghai parts.

Regards,

--
Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc,Plano,TX [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   Voice: 972.379.2133 Timezone: US CDT