Al Hopper writes:

> I'm going to be somewhat rude and bypass your list of
> detailed
> questions - but give you my thoughts on a motherboard
> recommendation
> (and other hardware).

No worries, you've pretty much confirmed things I already knew.  ;-)

> a) related to the 1Tb disks, I'd highly recommend the
> WD Caviar Black
> drive.  Its fast and the firmware does a great job on
> different
> workloads that vary between large file sequencial
> read (workloads) to
> (workloads that demand) lots of small random
> reads/writes.  Their
> "dual processor" controller architecture really
> works.

I have been a fan of Seagate for the past few years, but it seems as if they
have taken a big dive in the past six months.  I was planing to go with WD for
this project, though probably Green over Black, as heat and noise are the
primary concerns.

> b) If I were building a system today, I'd go Intel -
>  even thought I'm
> n AMD fanboy - but I can't recommend AMD today ...
> unfortunately.

Aside from the ECC issue, of course.

> c) RAM is the most important attribute of a ZFS based
> server.  Think
> lots of RAM.  Unfortunately, Intel has turned the
> market into a
> two-tier market, with the lower (price) tier limited
> to 4 DIMM slots.
> So, pick a board that has been tested with 4 * 2Gb or
> 4 * 4Gb DIMM
> configs and plan on building a system with at least
> 4*2Gb DIMMs today.
>
> c1) If you have a choice, based on your budgetary
> constraints, between
> (for example) 4*1G of "performance" RAM and 4*2Gb of
> "value" (main
> stream performance) RAM - go with value RAM.
>  Whatever you do,  PLEASE
> aximize system memory capacity.

I was planning to go with 2 x 2G sticks (total 4G) in a four slot mobo which
would allow me to upgrade to 8G if necessary.  I think 4G should be sufficient
as I will be the only user for now.

> d) The P45 based boards are a no-brainer.  Great
> performance, good
> pricing, reasonable power consumption and highly
> mature.

While I would agree the P45 is mature in terms of mobo support, I have not seen
indication that those motherboards are mature in terms of Solaris support.

> e) If the board is going to be *only* used as a NAS,
> the current CPU
> "sweet spot" is, IMHO, the Intel      Intel Core 2 Duo
> E7200 (45nm, 2.53
> GHz, 3MB L2 Cache).  Plenty of "horsepower",
> low-power consumption,
> nice cache capacity and priced to go!

I was actually thinking the E5200 which seems nearly as powerful at 2/3 the
price.

> f) If you intend to use the box for other demanding
> tasks (for
> example, running other OS under VirtualBox) and need
> more CPU power,
> I'd pick the E8400 (dual core).   But remember, the
> priority is RAM
> capacity first, upgraded CPU second.  I really think
> that the E7200
> will work well in your application.

And I am planning to select a mobo that will take the latest 45 nm quad cores
should I decide to do that upgrade down the road.

> I really don't think you can go wrong with any Intel
> based system that
> has had a halfway decent review report card.

The real question is how solid the P45/ICH10 support is with Solaris, and
whether the lack of ECC supports negates much of the advantages of the
P45/Core2.  I have nothing against AMD (I was an AMD guy prior to the Core
architecture) but I just have not seen much in the way of solid reports from
the AMD mobo chipsets currently in production.

-g.