On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, Ross wrote:

> Well yes, but he doesn't sound too worried about performance, and
> I'm not aware of any other issues with splitting drives?

Besides some possible loss of performance, splitting drives tends to
blow natural redundancy models where you want as little coupling as
possible.  If the part of the drive that zfs is using fails, you don't
want to have to worry about whether the data in other partitions is
still recoverable so maybe you should delay repair of the zfs pool
while you investigate the rest of the drive.  You just want to slap in
a new drive and wait for the pool to recover as quickly as possible.
It is best to minimize commonality between redundant components to the
maximum extent possible.

Bob