On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To be more clear, memory which is claimed to be free is often actually
> still used for caching.  Even if the virtual memory system has not
> mapped a VM page to a process, if a minor page fault occurs (due to an
> access), the data in that seemingly "unused" page may still be
> immediately switched in and used because the VM system tracks where
> the current content of that page came from.  This is primarily the
> case for memory-mapped regions such as ordinary files, shared
> libraries, executable text, or even a video frame buffer.  This is
> pretty much normal operation since when new processes are started, the
> VM maps the existing pages that the new process requires into its
> address space.
>
> It is pretty common for Unix systems to lie about free memory and use
> that free memory for the filesystem cache with the expectation that
> this "free" memory can be freed up for use fast enough that no one
> really notices.
>
> If the critical "working set" of VM pages is larger than available
> memory, then the system will become exceedingly slow.  This is
> indicated by a substantial amount of major page fault activity.
> Since disk is 10,000 times slower than RAM, major page faults can
> really slow things down dramatically.  Imagine what happens if ZFS or
> an often-accessed part of the kernel is not able to fit in available
> RAM.
>
> Bob
> Bob Friesenhahn
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/

So as a follow on to this, I guess my question is: Can you shut down the
linux box and throw the ram from it into this box and see what kind of
performance you are getting?  I believe you'll see far, far better results
with 1.5G in the system.

--Tim