If I shut down the Linux box, I won't have a host to send stuff to the Solaris
box!

Also, the Solaris box can only support 1024MB.  I did have 1024MB in it at one
time and had essentially the same performance.  I might note that I had the
same problem with 1024MB, albiet with TOP eating memory (opensolaris.com bug
5482) (up to 417MB at the highest observation).  No wonder it crashed.  Anyway,
1024MB is not "Far, Far better", it turns out there was no noticeable
difference when I dropped to 768.

Also note that Hikimiam had identical symptoms with a dual core 64 bit AMD and
4G of RAM.