On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Gary Mills wrote:

> This is a split responsibility configuration where the storage device
> is responsible for integrity of the storage and ZFS is responsible for
> integrity of the filesystem.  How can it be made to behave in a
> reliable manner?  Can ZFS be better than UFS in this configuration?
> Is a different form of communication between the two components
> necessary in this case?

The issue is really that the SAN device error detection and correction
is not as robust as what is used by ZFS.  The vast majority of SAN
devices do not do 100% data error detection.  ZFS is in a position to
detect errors that the SAN devices can not detect.

I doubt that ZFS is any more likely to lose your data than UFS is, but
ZFS is vastly more likely to detect if there is a problem with the
data that your SAN device is returning.

For my own situation, I configured my SAN array to be a fiber channel
"JBOD" and ZFS handles all the data integrity issues associated with
the disks.  After 10 months I have yet to encounter any issue and
performance is excellent.

Bob