> A  while back, I posted here about the issues ZFS has with USB hotplugging
> of ZFS formatted media when we were trying to plan an external media backup
> solution for time-slider:
> http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=299501
[...]

> There are a few minor issues however which I'd love to get some feedback on
> in addition
> to the overall direction of this proposal:
>
> 1. When the external device is disconnected, the zpool status output reports
> that the
>     pool is in a degraded state and displays a status message that indicates
> that there
>     was an unrecoverable error. While this is all technically correct, and is
> appropriate
>     in the context of a setup where it is assumed that the mirrored device is
> always
>     connected, it might lead a user to be unnecessarily alarmed when his
> "backup" mirror
>     disk is not connected. We're trying to use a mirror configuration here in
> a manner that
>     is a bit different than the conventional manner, but not in any way that
> it's not designed
>     to cope with.
[...]

> So I'd like to ask if this is an appropriate use of ZFS mirror functionality?
> It has many benefits
> that we really should take advantage of.

Yes, by all means.  I am doing something very similar on my T1000, but
I have two separate one-disk pools and copy to the backup pool using
rsync.  I would very much like to replace this with automatic resilvering.

One prerequisite for wide adoption would be to fix the issue #1 you
described above.  I would advise not to integrate this anywhere before
fixing that "degraded" display.

BTW is this USB-specific?  While it seems to imply that, you don't state
it anywhere explicitly.  I attach my backup disk via eSATA, power it up,
import the pool, etc.  Not really hotplugging...

Regards -- Volker