Does 1. really need to be fixed?

I ask this since I imagine there will be some resistance from the ZFS team to
essentially breaking the spec for the sake of not confusing some users.

I would argue that anybody who knows enough to run "zpool status" is also
capable of learning what a mirror is and how it works, and that this is then
more a training / documentation / expectations issue.  In your documentation
for this feature, include a section for advanced users explaining what "zpool
status" will show and I don't see any problem.

What I would suggest is that since this is end user / desktop functionality,
why don't you create a desktop GUI for reporting on the status of the "backup"
mirror?  That would seem to make more sense to me than modifying ZFS.  You
could create a nice simple GUI that shows whether the device is connected or
not, and gives a rough estimate to the user of how far through the resilver
process it is.

You could even have it live in the system tray, with the icon showing whether
the device is connected, disconnected or resilvering, with the tooltip
reporting the resilver status.

That sounds a lot nice for end users than having them try to interpret "zpool
status".