Hi Volker,

> Yes, by all means.  I am doing something very similar
> on my T1000, but
> I have two separate one-disk pools and copy to the
> backup pool using
> rsync.  I would very much like to replace this with
> automatic resilvering.
>
> One prerequisite for wide adoption would be to fix
> the issue #1 you
> described above.  I would advise not to integrate
> this anywhere before
> fixing that "degraded" display.
>
> BTW is this USB-specific?  While it seems to imply
> that, you don't state
> it anywhere explicitly.  I attach my backup disk via
> eSATA, power it up,
> import the pool, etc.  Not really hotplugging...

No, it's definitely not USB specific. We're in principle happy with any
type of block storage device what ZFS is happy with presuming it
has enough capacity to function as a mirror to the full capacity of
the device on which the existing root pool exists.

So a second hard disk connected internally inside the system would be
equally fine and even preferable, but that's probably not the common
case since we expect most users to be laptop users who will be connecting
external disks via USB, or maybe firewire or eSATA in a minority of cases.
If the solution is capable of dealing with hotplug then presumably it should
have no problem with permanently attached devices or devices that are
attached before boot.

Just for clarification I'll mention that we're not considering anything more
exotic
than a 2 way mirror configuration, and we will be assuming a single pool
containing
the root and user home directory filesystems with in it. Users running raidZ or
multiple
pools etc. would be beyond the scope of what we're aiming for.

Thanks,
Niall.

Thanks,
Niall