On Thu, January 8, 2009 15:35, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:43 PM, JZ <j...@excelsioritsolutions.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can we focus on commercial usage?
>> please!

> I dunno about you, but I need somewhere to store that music so I can
> stream
> it throughout the house while I'm drinking that wine ;)  A single disk
> windows box isn't really my cup-o-tea.  Plus, I'm a geek, my vmware farm
> needs it's nfs mounts on some solid, high performing gear.

While my music has ended up there, it's my digital photos that actually
pushed me into an NAS-type environment.  I wanted something better than
single-disk reliability plus backups, plus I've found my backups happen
better on the Solaris-based NAS than they did under windows (I never found
an adequate Windows backup product, whereas rsync to external USB drives
works perfectly, with the added benefit that my backup isn't locked up in
a proprietary format).

The enterprise features figure prominently, especially snapshots.  And
it's a BIG DEAL for me to know that a scrub has verified data even if I
haven't accessed it lately; old photos in my collection are still
important to me.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info