On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Christine Tran
<christine.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Christine Tran
> <christine.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is wrong with this?
>>
>> # chmod -R A+user:webservd:add_file/write_data/execute:allow /var/apache
>> chmod: invalid mode: `A+user:webservd:add_file/write_data/execute:allow'
>> Try `chmod --help' for more information.
>>

> Never mind. /usr/gnu/bin/chmod  Can we lose GNU, gee louise it is
> OpenSolaris2008.11 isn't it.  ls [-v|-V] is messed up as well.
> Blarhghgh!

There was a very long discussion about this a couple of weeks ago on
one of the lists. Apparently the decision was made to put the GNU
utilities in default system wide path before the native Sun utilities
in order to make it easier to attract Linux users by making the
environment more familiar to them. It was apparently assumed that
longtime Solaris users would quickly and easily figure out what the
problem was and adjust the PATH to their liking.

Whether or not this was a good idea remains to be determined. From my
vantage, it makes about as much sense to make Solaris more Linux-y in
order to attract more Linux users while annoying current Solaris users
as it does to change the speedometers on cars in the US to metric in
order to make it more comfortable for immigrants and tourists to
drive.

fpsm