On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, D. Eckert wrote:

> A good practice would be to care first for a proper documentation.
> There's nothing stated in the man pages, if USB zpools are used,
> that the zfs mount/unmount is NOT recommended and zpool export
> should be used instead.

I have been using USB mirrored disks for backup purposes for about
eight months now.  No data loss, or even any reported uncorrectable
read failures.  These disks have been shared between two different
systems (x86 and SPARC).  The documentation said that I should use zfs
export/import and so that is what I have done, with no problems.

While these USB disks seem to be working reliably, it is
certainly possible to construct a USB arrangement which does not work
reliably since most USB hardware is cheap junk.  My USB disks are
direct attached and don't go through a USB bridge.

Bob