On 02/23/09 20:24, Ilya Tatar wrote:
Hello,
I am building a home file server and am looking for an ATX mother board that will be supported well with OpenSolaris (onboard SATA controller, network, graphics if any, audio, etc). I decided to go for Intel based boards (socket LGA 775) since it seems like power management is better supported with Intel processors and power efficiency is an important factor. After reading several posts about ZFS it looks like I want ECC memory as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Any motherboard for the Core2 or Core i7 Intel processors with the ICH southbridge (desktop boards) or ESB2 soutbridge (server boards) will be well supported. I recommend an actual Intel board since they also always use the Intel network chip (well supported and tuned). Many of the third party boards from MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, DFI, ECS, and others also work, but for some (penny pinching) reason, they tend to use network chips like Marvell that are not yet supported, or Realtek,
for which some of the models are supported.

So using an actual board from Intel Corp will be best supported right out of the box. For that matter, because of the work we do with Intel, almost any of their boards will be supported using the ICH 6, 7, 8, 9, or ICH10 SATA ports in either legacy or AHCI mode. Again, almost any version of the Intel network (NIC) chips are supported across all their boards. If you are able to find one that is not, I'd love to hear about it and
add it to our work queue.

In the most recent builds of Solaris Nevada (SXCE), the integrated Intel graphics found on many of the boards is well supported. On other boards, use a low end
VGA card.
Again, if you find an Intel board where the graphics is not supported or not working,
please let us know the specifics and we'll fix it.

Cheers,

Neal

Here are a few that I found. Any comments about those?

Supermicro C2SBX+
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core2Duo/X48/C2SBX+.cfm

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
gigabyte: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2810