I'm experimenting with a zfs home server.  Running Opensol-11 by
way of vmware on WinXP.

It seems one way to avoid all the hardware problems one might run into
trying to install opensol on available or spare hardware.

Are there some bad gotchas about running opensol/zfs through vmware and
never going to real hardware?

One thing comes to mind is the overhead of two OSs on one processor.
An Athlon64 2.2 +3400 running 32bit Windows XP and opensol in VMware.

But if I lay off the windows OS... like not really working it with
transcibing video or compressing masses of data or the like. Is this
likely to be a problem?

Also I'm loosing out on going 64 bit since its not likely this machine
supports the AMD V extensions... and I'm short on SATA connections.  I
only have two onboard, but plan to install a pci style sata controller
to squeeze in some more discs.

Its a  big old ANTEC case so I don't think getting the discs in there
will be much of a problem.  But have wondered if a PCI sata controller
is likely to be a big problem.

So, are there things I need to know about that will make running a zfs
home server from vmware a bad idea?

The server will be serving as backup destination for 5 home machines
and most likely would see service only about 2-3 days a week far as
any kind of heavy usage like ghosted disc images and other large
chunks of data + a regular 3 day a week backup running from windows
using `retrospect' to backup user directories and changed files in
C:\.

A 6th (linux) machine may eventually start using the server but for
now its pretty selfcontained and has lots of disc space.