I guess I didn't make it clear that I had already tried using savecore
to retrieve the core from the dump device.

I added a larger zvol for dump, to make sure that I wasn't running out
of space on the dump device:

r...@host:~# dumpadm
      Dump content: kernel pages
       Dump device: /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/bigdump (dedicated)
Savecore directory: /var/crash/host
  Savecore enabled: yes

I was using the -L option only to try to get some idea of why the
system load was climbing to 1 during a simple file copy.