My dump device is already on a different controller - the motherboards
built-in nVidia SATA controller.

The raidz2 vdev is the one I'm having trouble with (copying the same
files to the mirrored rpool on the nVidia controller work nicely).  I
do notice that, when using cp to copy the files to the raidz2 pool,
load on the machine climbs steadily until the crash, and one proc core
pegs at 100%.

Frustrating, yes.