Alec Muffett wrote:
So much for an easy-to-use CLI :-O
How about feeding in a file containing names instead (qv fmthard -s)?

Not terribly script-friendly; I suffered that sort of thing with zonecfg and zoneadm (create a controlfile and squirt it into another command) and deemed it a horrible hack. They are still too broken for me to face using in their raw state except on special occasions...

Also it is unfriendly to the way the zfs ioctl code works today because that would mean passing every single filename down to the kernel over a single ioctl call.

The reason for the "pattern" based filenames is because:
        a) that is probably what is wanted most of the time anyway
        b) it is easy to pass from userland to kernel - you pass the
           rules (after some userland sanity checking first) as is.

--
Darren J Moffat