Chris Kirby wrote:
On Mar 27, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Darren J Moffat wrote:
    a) that is probably what is wanted most of the time anyway
    b) it is easy to pass from userland to kernel - you pass the
       rules (after some userland sanity checking first) as is.

But doesn't that also exclude the possibility of creating non-pattern based
clones in a single txg?

Yes it does.

While I think that allowing multiple clones to be created in a single txg
is perfectly reasonable, we shouldn't need to artificially restrict the
clone namespace in order to achieve that.

Agreed, but other than pattern based I can't at the moment thing of a nice way to pass all the names over the /dev/zfs ioctl call while maintaining the fact it is pretty much all fixed size.

I'm not saying passing a list of names over the ioctl is impossible, more it just doesn't feel right to me at the moment - but I'm happy to be convinced otherwise. That way the patterning part can be left to the shell.

--
Darren J Moffat