Carson Gaspar wrote:
Darren J Moffat wrote:
Agreed, but other than pattern based I can't at the moment thing of a nice way to pass all the names over the /dev/zfs ioctl call while maintaining the fact it is pretty much all fixed size.

I'm not saying passing a list of names over the ioctl is impossible, more it just doesn't feel right to me at the moment - but I'm happy to be convinced otherwise. That way the patterning part can be left to the shell.

OK, while I have played a developer upon occasion, I've never touched kernel code. So feel free to tell me I'm on crack.

What is so difficult about passing a pointer to memory as an argument in the ioctl? The kernel certainly has easy access to user-space pages. And parsing a list of text strings is neither complicated, nor dangerous. And as long as you never touch the memory after returning from ioctl(), no memory allocation ownership issues.

In short, what am I missing here? This ioctl() limit seems much ado about nothing to me...

You aren't missing anything, it could certainly be done. I was just trying to see what was possible without to much change from how the ioctl calls on /dev/zfs work today. I was just being very conservative with respect to change.

If Jeff (as he indicated in another email) is happy with a non pattern method and what that means for how this is passed over the ioctl then so am I.

--
Darren J Moffat