On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Matthew Ahrens <matthew.ahr...@sun.com> wrote:
> River Tarnell wrote:
>>
>> Matthew Ahrens:
>>>
>>> ZFS user quotas (like other zfs properties) will not be accessible over
>>> NFS;
>>> you must be on the machine running zfs to manipulate them.
>>
>> does this mean that without an account on the NFS server, a user cannot
>> see his
>> current disk use / quota?
>
> That's correct.

Do you have a reason for not wanting this to be implemented, or are
you just avoiding scope creep?

In the past, this was a big pain point for NFS servers that used VxFS.
 I used one of Sun's "source available" programs to get the rquotad
source to implement this in the Solaris 7 days.  Google suggests
others have done the same using the opensolaris code as a starting
point.  Still others have written wrappers around quota(1M) that
invoke rsh or ssh to the appropriate NFS server.  It seems as though
this was eventually addressed by Veritas with 110434-02. We really
shouldn't repeat this for long.

It should be fairly straight-forward to modify rquotad to support
this, so long as the zfs end of it is not overly complicated.  Is now
too early to file the RFE?   For some reason it feels like the person
on the other end of bugs.opensolars.org will get confused by the
request to enhance a feature that doesn't yet exist.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/