Miles Nordin <car...@ivy.net> wrote:

> chooses the license, _and_ can change the license later (which Linux
> cannot, which sucks for mostly everyone).  Please stop spreading FUD.
> Especially since you brought us through this exact same thing before
> the last time someone brought up dual-licensing.

Please stop spreading FUD!

If you don't understand the problems from dual licensing, please first try
to inform yourself about what happened with OpenOffice and Redhat a few years
ago.

> First, there is plain-GPLv2, Linux-modified-GPLv2 with the ``or any
> later version'' clause deleted and the suspect ``interpretation'' of
> kernel modules, and plain-GPLv3: there are three GPL licenses to
> worry about.

You just verified that you don't understand what you are talking about - sorry.
The clause "or any later version" is _not_ part of the GPL. The Linux Kernel
of course uses a plain vanilla GPLv2.

The clause "or any later version" is even illegal in many juristrictions
as these juristrictions forbid to sign a contract that you don't know at the
time you sign.

The rest of your text contains a lot more problematic claims, let me delete
it because it does not look like you like to discuss things.

I am in special very disappointed because you quote a person (Mr. Wheeler) who
seems to know few to nothing about licensing and who spreads a lot of FUD :-(

The license combination used by cdrtools was verified by several lawywers
including Sun Legal and Eben Moglen and no lawyer did find a problem. Finally,
with help from Simon Phipps, Debian agreed on March 6th to go back to the
original
cdrtools.

Note: the cdrtools fork "cdrkit" is violating both Copyright law and GPL and
cannot be legally distributed.

So what is your point?

I am a person that tries to bring different license camps together and it seems
that I am successful with it - I convinced the *BSD people that there is no
problem with adding CDDL code (e.g. Dtrace) to their kernel. I am talking with
many people from the Linux camp and it is nice to see that the Linux people who
create code do not spread FUD but are interested in a discussion and in
exchange of ideas and code. I am attending many Linux events and I am giving
talks at these events...You are quoting people who do not contribute to OSS.

What code did you write? Where did you try to connect people?
>From my investigations, it seems that you did nothing like that.....

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin