I've been playing around with zfs root pool mirroring and came across some
problems.

I have no problems mirroring the root pool if I have both disks attached during
OpenSolaris installation (installer sees 2 disks).

The problem occurs when I only have one disk attached to the system during
install.  After OpenSolaris installation completes, I attach the second disk
and try to create a mirror but I cannot.

Here are the steps I go through:
1) install OpenSolaris onto 16GB disk
2) after successful install, shutdown, and attach second disk (also 16GB)
3) fdisk -B
4) partition
5) zfs attach

Step 5 fails, giving a "disk too small" error.

What I noticed about the second disk is that it has a 9th partition called
"alternates" that takes up about 15MBs.  This partition doesn't exist in the
first disk and I believe is what's causing the problem.  I can't figure out how
to delete this partition and I don't know why it's there.  How do I mirror the
root pool if I don't have both disks attached during OpenSolaris installation?
I realize I can just use a disk larger than 16GBs, but that would be a waste.