HUGE | David Stahl wrote:
I'm curious if anyone else has run into this problem, and if so, what solutions they use to get around it. We are using Vmware Esxi servers with an Opensolaris NFS backend. This allows us to leverage all the awesomeness of ZFS, including the snapshots and clones. The best feature of this is we can create a vmware guest template (centos/ubuntu/win/whatever) and use the snapshot/cloning to make an instant copy of that machine, and it will hardly take any additional space (initially that is). Everything is great. My issue is that vmware esx only allows you a limit of 32 nfs mounts. And because of this we can't seem to get any more than 32 servers (from nfs). Every single vmware machine is it's own zvol. I tried making my nfs mount to higher zvol level. But I cannot traverse to the sub-zvols from this mount. Another thing I tried was adding another nic to the vmware server. But you cannot have more than one vmkernel on the same subnet.

 Does anyone have any experience with overcoming these limitations?
I understand what you are trying to do, but yes, Vmware has that 32 mount point limit (64 in vSphere 4.0 I believe). My only suggestion is to put more VMs in a single mountpoint. And Vmware does not support NFSv4 mirror mounts so you can't try mounting them under subdirs.

So in your case of using this for quick clone deployment, create your golden image and then use Vmware to clone that another 5-10 times (or whatever, an NFS share can handle a larger number of VM than a FC/iSCSI VMFS3 datastore) in that same NFS mountpoint. Then when you snap/clone on the array side, your granularity will be in group of 5-10 (or more). For example, if you put 10 images in a single "golden" NFS share and clone that 32 times you can get 320 VMs. 20 per directory would give you 640.

Not ideal, you'll have to worrying about updating 5-10 images when you refresh patches/apps, instead of one, but that's the VMware limitation we are dealing with.

We'd really like to see Vmware support NFSv4 mirror-mounts in the future, but they have not commented on their plans there.

-ryan

--
HUGE

David Stahl