On Jun 16, 2009, at 17:47, Scott Meilicke wrote:

I think (don't quote me) that ESX can only mount 64 iSCSI targets, so you aren't much better off. But, COMSTAR (2009.06) exports a single iSCSI target with multiple LUNs, so that gets around the limitation. I could be all wet on this one, however, so look into it before taking my word.

Version 3.5 of the various VMware software has a one-connection-per- target limit (page 18):

ESX Serverā€based iSCSI initiators establish only one connection to each target. This means storage systems with a single target containing multiple LUNs have all LUN traffic on that one connection. With a system that has [say] three targets with one LUN each, three connections exist between an ESX Server and the three volumes available.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_iscsi_san_cfg.pdf

The iSCSI driver used by ESX Server does not currently use multiple connections per session, so there are no such settings that you can tune.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/iSCSI_design_deploy.pdf

This may impact how much throughput you can get, as well as any MPIO scenarios you want to use. There's also a maximum of 8 (?) targets that can be connected to:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_iscsi_cfg.pdf

There's a good explanation of how VMware's iSCSI system works (at least for 3.x):

http://tinyurl.com/dd4com
http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2009/01/a-multivendor-post-to-help-our-mutual-iscsi-customers-using-vmware.html