My testing with 2008.11 iSCSI vs NFS was that iSCSI was about 2x faster. I used
a 3 stripe 5 disk raidz (15 1.5TB sata disks). I just used the default zil, no
SSD or similar to make NFS faster.

I think (don't quote me) that ESX can only mount 64 iSCSI targets, so you
aren't much better off. But, COMSTAR (2009.06) exports a single iSCSI target
with multiple LUNs, so that gets around the limitation. I could be all wet on
this one, however, so look into it before taking my word.

Obviously iSCSI and NFS are quite different at the storage level, and I
actually like NFS for the flexibility over iSCSI (quotas, reservations, etc.)

-Scott