Simon Breden wrote:
I think the confusion is because the 1068 can do "hardware" RAID, it
can and does write its own labels, as well as reserve space for replacements
of disks with slightly different sizes. But that is only one mode of operation.

So, it sounds like if I use a 1068-based device, and I *don't* want it to write labels to the
drives to allow easy portability of drives to a different controller, then I need to avoid the
"RAID" mode of the device and instead force it to use JBOD mode. Is this easily
selectable? I guess you just avoid the "Use RAID mode" option in the controller's BIOS or
something?
In the Sun onboard version of the 1068, the "JBOD" mode is the default. I don't know about the add-in cards, but I suspect it's the same. Worst case, you push Cntr-L (or whatever it prompts you for) at the BIOS initialization, and remove any RAID device it's configured. With no RAID devices configured, it runs as a pure HBA (i.e. in JBOD mode).

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support