Miles Nordin wrote:
"sb" == Simon Breden <no-re...@opensolaris.org> writes:

    sb> The situation regarding lack of open source drivers for these
    sb> LSI 1068/1078-based cards is quite scary.

meh I dunno.  The amount of confusion is a little scary, I guess.

    sb> And did I understand you correctly when you say that these LSI
    sb> 1068/1078 drivers write labels to drives,

no incorrect.  I'm using a 1068 (``closed-source / proprietary
driver''), and it doesn't write such labels.

I think the confusion is because the 1068 can do "hardware" RAID, it
can and does write its own labels, as well as reserve space for replacements
of disks with slightly different sizes. But that is only one mode of operation.

Nit: the definition of "proprietary" is "relating to ownership."  One could
argue that Linus still "owns" Linux since he has such strong control over
what is accepted in the Linux kernel :-)  Similarly, one could argue that a
forker would own the fork. In other words, "open source" and "proprietary"
are not mutually exclusive, nor is "closed source" a synonym for
"proprietary." You say tomato, I say 'mater.
-- richard