Tristan Ball wrote:
It just so happens I have one of the 128G and two of the 32G versions in
my drawer, waiting to go into our "DR" disk array when it arrives.
Hi Tristan,

Just so I can be clear, What model/brand are the drives you were testing?

 -Kyle

I dropped the 128G into a spare Dell 745 (2GB ram) and used a Ubuntu
liveCD to run some simple iozone tests on it. I had some stability
issues with Iozone crashing however I did get some results...

Attached are what I've got. I intended to do two sets of tests, one for
each of sequential reads, writes, and a "random IO" mix. I also wanted
to do a second set of tests, running a streaming read or streaming write
in parallel with the random IO mix, as I understand many SSD's have
trouble with those kind of workloads.

As it turns out, so did my test PC. :-)
I've used 8K IO sizes for all the stage one tests - I know I might get
it to go faster with a larger size, but I like to know how well systems
will do when I treat them badly!

The Stage_1_Ops_thru_run is interesting. 2000+ ops/sec on random writes,
5000 on reads.

The Streaming write load and "random over writes" were started at the
same time - although I didn't see which one finished first, so it's
possible that the stream finished first and allowed the random run to
finish strong. Basically take these numbers with several large grains of
salt!

Interestingly, the random IO mix doesn't slow down much, but the
streaming writes are hurt a lot.

Regards,
        Tristan.