On 29/07/2009, at 5:47 PM, Ross wrote:

Everyone else should be using the Intel X25-E. There's a massive difference between the M and E models, and for a slog it's IOPS and low latency that you need.

Do they have any capacitor backed cache? Is this cache considered stable storage? If so, then they would be a fine solution. Are there any details of the cache size and capacitor support time?

SSD manufacturers aren't releasing this type of information and for use as a ZIL/slog for an NFS server, it's a pretty critical piece of the puzzle.

We're not running an x4500, but we were lucky enough to get our hands on some PCI 512MB nvram cards a while back, and I can confirm they make a huge difference to NFS speeds - for our purposes they're identical to ramdisk slog performance.

At the moment, short of an STEC ZEUS, this is the only viable solution I've been able to come up with.

What is the NVRAM card you're using?

For me, I'm putting it behind a raid controller with battery backed DRAM write cache. That works really well.

cheers,
James