Hi James, I'll not reply in line since the forum software is completely munging
your post.

On the X25-E I believe there is cache, and it's not backed up.  While I haven't
tested it, I would expect the X25-E to have the cache turned off while used as
a ZIL.

The 2nd generation X25-E announced by Intel does have 'safe storage' as they
term it.  I believe it has more cache, a faster write speed, and is able to
guarantee that the contents of the cache will always make it to stable storage.

My guess would be that since it's designed for the server market, the cache on
the X25-E would be irrelevant - the device is going to honor flush requests and
the ZIL will be stable.  I suspect that the X25-E G2 will ignore flush
requests, with Intel's engineers confident that the data in the cache is safe.

The NVRAM card we're using is a MM-5425, identical to the one used in the
famous 'blog on slogs', I was lucky to get my hands on a pair and some drivers
:-)

I think the raid controller approach is a nice idea though, and should work
just as well.

I'd love an 80GB ioDrive to use as our ZIL, I think that's the best hardware
solution out there right now, but until Fusion-IO release Solaris drivers I'm
going to have to stick with my 512MB...