On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Ross wrote:

Without spare drive bays I don't think you're going to find one solution that works for x4500 and x4540 servers. However, are these servers physically close together? Have you considered running the slog devices externally?

This all sounds really sophisticated and complicated. While I have not yet held one of these SSDs in my own hands, it seems that they are rather small (laptop sized) SATA devices. If a SATA port can be found (or installed) into the chassis, how about just using stout velcro to affix the drive to the inside of the chassis, and run cables to it? Shouldn't that work?

Do these SSDs require a lot of cooling? Traditional drive slots are designed for hard drives which need to avoid vibration and have specific cooling requirements. What are the environmental requirements for the Intel X25-E?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn