On Jul 30, 2009, at 2:04 PM, Ross wrote:

Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8, based on the Marvell chipset. I figured it was the best available at the time since it's using the same chipset as the x4500 Thumper servers.

Our next machine will be using LSI controllers, but I'm still not entirely happy with the way ZFS handles timeout type errors. It seems that it handles drive reported read or write errors fine, and also handles checksum errors, but it's completely missed drive timeout errors as used by hardware raid controllers.

Personally, I feel that when a pool usually responds to requests in the order of milliseconds, a timeout of even a tenth of a second is too long. Several minutes before a pool responds is just a joke.

ZFS doesn't have timeouts, at least not in the context you are referring.
A tenth of a second is way too short, by at least 2 orders of magnitude.

I'm still a big fan of ZFS, and modern hardware may have better error handling, but I can't help but feel this is a little short sighted.

Did you miss the memo? Likely, because it was buried in b97 head's up
list.  PSARC 2008/465 Improved [s]sd-config-list support.
http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2008/465/mail

Note iSCSI tuning is different and "fixed" in b121, via PSARC 2009/369
iSCSI initiator tunables.
http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2009/369/mail
 -- richard