Is it possible to use the zfs copies property and put the disks individually
into a pool?  That would give you 3TB (1.5 + 1 + .5) usable.

http://blogs.sun.com/relling/entry/zfs_copies_and_data_protection

States that copies will be spread across disks.  But what I don't know (and
don't have a test box to figure out) is if losing a disk still kills the whole
pool in spite of having multiple copies of the data.  I have a sneaking
suspicion is the pool would be toast.

-Russ