On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:15:37 +0200
joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling) wrote:

> dick hoogendijk <d...@nagual.nl> wrote:
>
> > FULL backup to a file
> > zfs snapshot -r rp...@0908
> > zfs send -Rv rp...@0908 > /net/remote/rpool/snaps/rpool.0908
> >
> > INCREMENTAL backup to a file
> > zfs snapshot -i rp...@0908 rp...@090822
> > zfs send -Rv rp...@090822 > /net/remote/rpool/snaps/rpool.090822
> >
> > As I understand the latter gives a file with changes between 0908
> > and
> > 090822. Is this correct?
>
> What do you understand by "incremental backup"?

I do not want to process the first zfs send option everytime I make a
backup of my root pool. It simply takes too long and too much space.
I do, however, want to be able to restore my root pool in case of a
disastre, as good and recent as possible.

> If you like to be able to restore single files, I recommend you to
> use "star" for the incrementals.

I have no need for restoring single files. I use star / rsync for this
already. I want to be able to restore my root pool in case of disk
failure. So, I can always do a zfs send of the whole root, but I
thought it might be possible to do this onece, followed by incremental
differences.

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
+ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u7 5/09 | OpenSolaris 2009.06 rel