> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> > Userland tools to read and verify a stream, without
> having to play
> > it into a pool (seek and io overhead)  could really
> help here.
>
> This assumes that the problem is data corruption of
> the stream, which
> could occur anywhere, even on the originating host.

yes, exactly.  consider, for example, a truncated stream because the send was
interrupted.

>  The system where
> he data is stored may not support zfs-specific tools
> so portable
> OS-independent tools are desirable.

That's part of what I was inferring by "userland", but could have emphasised.
Open source should imply "portable, OS-independent" software that could be run
on other systems.

> A simple way to create a self-validating stream is to
> pipe the data
> through gzip (or lzop) on the originating host.

How does this validate the truncated send example above?