On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Ross wrote:

God knows, I've just checked the docs online and they make no mention of it
either:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/gbchx?a=view

This looks to me like a serious omission in the documentation. Saving a send stream to file goes contrary to all the advice I've ever seen posted on these forums.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saving a send stream to a file. Using the files for long-term backups is another matter entirely.

What I would say is that if you do follow this advice, find a way to save the files that allows you to checksum and test them as they are stored, with some kind of redundancy so that any errors that occur in the remote file can be fixed without risking your backups. --

Save the data to a file stored in zfs.  Then you are covered. :-)

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn