On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Marty Scholes wrote:

I really want to move back to 2009.06 and keep all of my files / snapshots. Is there a way somehow to zfs send an older stream that 2009.06 will read so that I can import that into 2009.06?

Can I even create an older pool/dataset using 122? Ideally I would provision an older version of the data and simply reinstall 2009.06 and just import the pool created under 122.

The zfs send stream is dependent on the version of the filesystem, so the only way to create an older stream is to create a back-versioned filesystem:

        zfs create -o version=N pool/filesystem

You can see what versions your system supports by using the zfs upgrade command:

# zfs upgrade -v
The following filesystem versions are supported:

VER  DESCRIPTION
---  --------------------------------------------------------
 1   Initial ZFS filesystem version
 2   Enhanced directory entries
 3   Case insensitive and File system unique identifer (FUID)
 4   userquota, groupquota properties

For more information on a particular version, including supported releases, see:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/version/zpl/N

Where 'N' is the version number.
#

Of course, creating a version 3 or earlier system will not allow you to use user & group quotas, for example, but at least you'll be able to zfs-send that filesystem to a version of zfs that can only understand the earlier versions.

It seems this would be a regular request. If I understand it correctly, an older BE cannot read upgraded pools and file systems, so a boot image upgrade followed by a zfs and zpool upgrade would kill a shop's ability to fall back. Or am I mistaken?

You're not mistaken.

Regards,
markm