Erik Trimble wrote:
You are correct in that restoring a full stream creates the appropriate versioned filesystem. That's not the problem.

The /much/ more likely scenario is this:

(1) Let's say I have a 2008.11 server. I back up the various ZFS filesystems, with both incremental and full streams off to tape.

(2) I now upgrade that machine to 2009.05, and upgrade all the zpool/zfs filesystems to the later versions, which is what most people will do.

(3) Now, I need to get back a snapshot from before step #2. I don't want a full stream recovery, just a little bit of data. I now am in the situation that I have a current (active) ZFS filesystem which has a later version than the (incremental) stream I stored earlier.

This is what a typical recover instance is. If I can't recover an incremental into an existing filesystem, it effectively means my backups are lost and useless. (not quite true, but it creates a huge headache.)

Ummm... but you can't recover that incremental anyway, unless you have the fs snapshot from which the incremental was derived. And that snapshot, by definition, is a compatible zfs fs version. Unless "zfs upgrade" touches snapshots? Which would be... odd...

--
Carson