On Wed, September 16, 2009 02:11, Carson Gaspar wrote:

> "zfs recv" of a full
> stream will create a new filesystem of the appropriate version, which you
> may
> then "zfs upgrade" if you wish. And restoring incrementals to a different
> fs rev
> doesn't make sense. As long as support for older fs versions isn't removed
> from the kernel, this shouldn't ever be a problem.

It's routine to go back into old incrementals for single-file recovery, in
my experience over 40 years of backup strategies.  But you can't do that
at all with saved zfs send streams.

This is another example of how a ZFS SEND stream isn't exactly a backup.

I'm going with a strategy where the way I get old files back is from
snapshots on either the main filesystem, or one of the backup filesystems,
and send/receive are to be used only as communication channels between
filesystems.  But that does increase the size of the backup filesystems,
if I keep any large amount of old snapshots around.

Sun says roughly that if you want enterprise backup of ZFS filesystems,
you should use an enterprise backup product, and I think I see their point
on this one.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info