On Wed, September 16, 2009 11:53, Lori Alt wrote:

> So we're considering a refinement of the current policy of not
> guaranteeing future readability of streams generated by earlier version
> of ZFS.  The time may have come where we know enough about how send
> streams fit into overall ZFS versioning that we can make them more
> useful by making a stronger assurance about future readability.  So stay
> tuned.

Is there any versioning in the stream format (like the on-disk ZFS format)?

The tar/pax and TIFF file formats seem to be fairly good at having a base
level, and have added extra functionality over the years (decades?). Older
software ignores the fields it doesn't understand, but still gets at most
things.

I guess there's a balance between giving a guarantee and boxing yourself
in unnecessarily.