With that said I'm concerned that there appears to be a fork between the opensource version of ZFS and ZFS that is part of the Sun/Oracle FishWorks 7nnn series appliances. I understand (implicitly) that Sun (/Oracle) as a commercial concern, is free to choose their own priorities in terms of how they use their own IP (Intellectual Property) - in this case, the source for the ZFS filesystem.

Hey Al,

I'm unaware of specific plans for management either at Sun or at Oracle, but from an engineering perspective suffice it to say that it is simpler and therefore more cost effective to develop for a single, unified code base, to amortize the cost of testing those modifications, and to leverage the enthusiastic ZFS community to assist with the development and testing of ZFS.

Again, this isn't official policy, just the simple facts on the ground from engineering.

I'm not sure what would lead you to believe that there is fork between the open source / OpenSolaris ZFS and what we have in Fishworks. Indeed, we've made efforts to make sure there is a single ZFS for the reason stated above. Any differences that exist are quickly migrated to ON as you can see from the consistent work of Eric Schrock.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Fishworks                        http://blogs.sun.com/ahl