On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 2:35 AM, Bruno Sousa <bso...@epinfante.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> I fully understand that within a cost effective point of view, developing
> the fishworks for a reduced set of hardware makes , alot, of sense.
> However, i think that Sun/Oracle would increase their user base if they
> make availabe a Fishwork framework certified only for a reduced set of
> hardware, ie :
>
>    - it needs Western Digital HDD firmware version x.y.z
>    - it needs a SAS/SATA controller from a specific brand, model and
>    firmare ( LSI SAS1068E )
>    - if SSD's are used they need to be from vendor X with firmware Y
>    - the system motherboard chipset needs to be from vendor X or Y and not
>    from Z
>
> Within this possible landscape i'm pretty sure that alot more customers
> would pay for the Fishworks stack and support, given the fact that not all
> customers "need" aKa can afford, the Unified Storage platform from Sun.
>
> Anyway..Fishworks it's an awesome product! Congratulations for the extreme
> good job.
>
> Regards,
> Bruno

You're making a very, very bad assumption that the price of Fishworks would
be "cheap" for just the software.  Sun hardware does not cost that much more
than their competitors when it comes down to it.  You should expect the
software to make up the difference in price if they were to unbundle it.
Heck, I would expect it to be MORE if they're forced into having to deal
with third party vendors that are pointing fingers at software problems vs.
hardware problems and wasting Sun support engineers valuable time.  I think
you'd find yourself unpleasantly surprised at the end price tag.

--Tim