Hi,

I can agree that the software is the one that really has the added value, but to my opinion allowing a stack like Fishworks to run outside the Sun Unified Storage would lead to lower price per unit(Fishwork license) but maybe increase revenue. Why an increase in revenues? Well, i assume that alot of customers would buy the Fishworks to put into they XYZ high-end server.

I often find alot of customers that say that it's far more easy to convince the Board of Directors to buy software rather than hardware or a "appliance".. Maybe the first step could be the possibility to run Fishworks in any Sun server without the need to buy their Unified Storage server. In this way the support for the software and hardware would come from same vendor, therefore avoiding the "dance" between multiple vendor when it comes to fixing issues.

Anyway, only time/market will say what's the best approach.

Bruno