On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Jesse Stroik wrote:

Yes, this was my initial reaction as well, but I am concerned with the fact that I do not know how zfs populates the vdevs. My naive guess is that it either fills the most empty, or (and more likely) fills them at a rate relative to their amount of free space -- that is, the new devices with more free space will get a disproportionate amount of some of the data.

You are right that you only get to be a virgin once. After the filesystem has been written to many times, it is not likely to perform quite as well as it originally did. With the size of your data, it seems inconvenient to restart the pool from scratch.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn