On Nov 20, 2009, at 11:22 PM, Erik Trimble wrote:

Something occurs to me: how full is your current 4 vdev pool? I'm assuming it's not over 70% or so.

yes, by adding another 3 vdevs, any writes will be biased towards the "empty" vdevs, but that's for less-than-full-stripe-width writes (right, Richard?). That is, if I'm doing a write that would be full- stripe size, and I've got enough space on all vdevs (even if certain ones are much fuller than others), then it will write across all vdevs.

"vdev" is a generic term. In this case, we're looking at dynamically striping
data across "top-level vdevs."  Block devices are "leaf vdevs."
 -- richard