Interesting, at least to me, the part where/ "this storage node is very
small (~100TB)"  /:)
Anyway, how are you using your ZFS? Are you creating volumes and present
them to end-nodes over iscsi/fiber , nfs, or other? Could be helpfull to
use some sort of cluster filesystem to have some more control in the
"balance"of writes across devices?
I'm just thinking out loud, but if your end-nodes access a zvol over
iscsi,  could you format that zvol in the end-node with LustreFS, and
use the features of the LustreFS?

Bruno